Thursday, March 08, 2012

On cosplay & costuming

I seriously think that cosplayers are not given the recognition and respect due. I've seen harsh comments on how ugly, skinny, fat, stupid, etc. ppl have commented on cosplayers who didn't seem too pretty or appropriate.

Well I think if u are in the limelight, chances are u will invite criticism or scrutiny no matter what. Even though I've felt that a particular cosplayer looked "inappropriate", at least I don't openly comment on how fat/ugly he is, especially on forums or fb or what not. U have to look deeper than that; u have to look at his motivations for cosplaying, his passion for it!

Well the most u can say it maybe suggest how the character should be portrayed or how he should improve next time. Harsh criticism aside, I know I know, its part and parcel of life. But I still wish ppl would respect cosplayers. It's never easy to wear such costumes and parade around. Especially under the hot Singapore sun!

I've worn numerous costumes from Movie Mania MM. I don't dare call that cosplaying cos I feel I don't have that passion and commitment the cosplayers really have. I'm wearing it for the sake of the event that MM is involved in, haha and because I luv wearing interesting clothes to take pictures in.


 My first costume at Coscon'09. Ghostbuster. And Freddy Kruger.




GCA'09. Where we tried going on stage to compete with other cosplayers LOL.


Other maid costumes worn during GCA'09 
  
A Halloween work assignment on Halloween Eve'09.

I rmb I refused to wear the dirty wig that MM provided. lol. Luckily I have enough fringe.


Haha I like this photo:

[edited]Mascot Parade 2010:
Christmas event in 2010.

Cosplay parade in 2011. We were featured on STOMP! I was sad cos MM forgot to bring my boots. And I had to wear my sandals!! Luckily batgirl had a leg cover. At least most of the leg was covered by the leg cover, if not I would really be in pants and an ugly pair of sandals. 
 I rmb doing another catwoman event at Cathay Cineleisure in 2010 if I didn't rmb wrongly.

That time, I had to give out goodies to the public along with spiderman and batman LOL!

Most recently, Wonderwoman at Singapore Airshow 2012.

Not that I really like Wonderwoman.
Star Wars Imperial Officer would have been better but at least the colours of this costume stands out lah.



But, I think that the crux of cosplaying lies in how much u enjoyed wearing it, or portraying the characters' attitudes correctly. As long as u enjoyed the process and had fun, it doesn't matter if u were THAT suitable for the role.

Well when I was first introduced to all these cosplaying, I admit that I felt that they are weird ppl. But now, its not that they are weird or not, its that they are brave enough to stand under the spotlight and be seen by all, scrutinized or not. Seriously! Cosplayers are not weird ppl, I wish Singaporeans would just stop being frogs in the well and embrace it! Take a look at what other countries are doing and u will realize how myopic Singaporeans are!

Its pretty fun to wear such costumes u can never do in your everyday life. At least when I'm old, I can tell my grandchildren:

"Hey! I wore Wonderwoman, Catwoman costumes before. Oh, did I mention that I even went up the stage to contest in a cosplay competition wearing Ghostbusters costume? And of cos, rmb the much coveted maid costumes which makes otakus go weak in the knees? I've worn them all! hee."

I know that there will still be ppl who are sceptical about my blog post. I don't care about these ppl.

nuff said. hah.
Like or share this post if u liked and agreed with what I said.

No comments: