Friday, June 04, 2010

Drama review: Hong Gil Dong

hmm I thought since I'm so bored. might as well write a review on this korean drama which I watched weeks ago, long before I watched 'you're beautiful'



actually this drama started on channelU but 
I didn't watch coz its a period drama (and I don't like period dramas except for da chang jin) but stumbled upon it when I switched on the tv one day. and I decided I shall just watch it. HAH.

the opening of the drama actually depicts hong gil dong alr as a hero. but there was a flashback years ago to when hong gil dong was still a notorious guy in the village. coz he is an illegitimate son of a minister, he cannot do anything. that was the law of the world then. however, being a bright and smart guy, he eventually learnt martial arts from a monk (who is really funny) and became someone very powerful. as the story progresses, he realizes the injustices of the world he lives in and tries to fight them by stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. something like robin hood.

OK. the female lead yi nok comes in coz she is hong gil dong's love. and through a twisted fate she is actually the daughter of a minister, hong gil dong's father's best friend too. BUT, hong gil dong's dad killed this best friend of his for the king, and luckily yi nok got away and got adopted by her current grandfather.

another character, lee chang hui (JANG GEUN SUK!!) is actually the younger brother of the current king, and is plotting to overthrow the king because he has been taught by the queen since young that he is the rightful heir to the throne. he is living in seclusion coz the king thought that he had killed his little brother in a fire years back. but nope, luckily my dear jang geun suk doesn't die and comes back to take the throne. and he got it in the end.

the female and male lead.


HOWEVER! chang hui starts to fall head over heels in love with yi nok!!
and 
I rather they be together. hmph. but ohwells. if u watch how the story goes u would root for them too.



ok at the same time, chang hui forms an alliance with hong gil dong to win over the ppl and overthrow the king. yepp and they did. but the story is soo damn long and complicated thats all 
I can say and in the end chang hui became the king and hong gil dong is the hero of the ppl. and btw yi nok is supposed to become the queen coz her dad and chang hui's mum had this agreement when they were born that they will marry each other. yay chang hui tgt with his love so fullstop won't it be great?



however the story doesn't stop here. coz hong gil dong is determined to create a world where everyone is equal. but chang hui wants the world to be under him.

of coz mah. he king alr leh.

but the story really gets very confusing here. 
I don't really know how to say.



and in the end lots of other factors, plus pressure from the court ministers cause chang hui to exterminate hong gil dong's gang. and knowing that staying by hong gil dong's side, the stubborn yi nok would die too. but she still stayed by him anw.
I really don't understand leh. he and his gang know that they will die, but they still wanna oppose the king's troops. like wtf are they idiots.

they should be tgt!



but anw. what caused me to break down at the ending was that everyone died. except my dearest chang hui lah. but.......

EVERYONE impt in the drama! except for hong gil dong's master whom later on in his yrs took in another disciple (and viewers assume that this disciple would become the next hong gil dong)



the thing is. whoever likes endings like this?



definitely not me!




damn shocking lor! 
I can't stop swearing at the ending of the drama. and thought perhaps they would have another ending requested (sth like the little nyonya which created another ending)



but nope they didn't! sobx.



but the crux of the drama is actually that there will always be a hong gil dong living in us. even to this time and age. that we are striving for a world where everyone is equal.



bahh...

possible?











nope. although 
I hope that day would come. thats the essence of the drama.



so now let us look at the beautiful jang geun suk again. this was the drama which made me adore him. YES this drama with his long hair. and 'you're beautiful' made me luv him. haha.



ok seriously 
I liked this hong gil dong drama. its a period drama but its sooooo sooooooo freaking funny. 10times funnier than 'you're beautiful'. haha coz its meant to be a comedy drama. but u don't normally associate period drama with comedy so its effect on me was great. and its not often I laugh out loud when watching dramas so this drama is really funny.



weird and funny in its own sense, however, the drama has some sad moments too. 
I rmb I cried terribly at the death of yi nok's grandfather. like TERRIBLY. but then again, I suspect I have sensitive tear glands.



so if u are looking for entertainment, something to laugh about, something to ponder about, and some eye candy to look at, watch this drama!


and so 
I say, jang geun suk looks good in ANY hairstyle.



=)

No comments: