Saturday, February 22, 2020

Cambodia 2018: Wat Food?

Even though I'm not really a fan of Southeast Asian food, we managed to snag some very interesting and delicious food during our trip to Cambodia - Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

Just in case you are wondering, Khmer is used to describe the ethnicity, race, language and nationality of Cambodians. Therefore, food from Cambodia is known as Khmer food. And alot of the restaurants use this word in their naming.

Also, think I had mild food poisoning (vomited and felt so sick) during my last day in Siem Reap, so the breakfast for that day wasn't documented. (nothing much to say too since I only bought some bread from a random bakery)

Travelmate Nini had the symptoms of food poisoning during our time in Phnom Penh. So I must stress that you must be very careful while eating at countries like Cambodia. I dare say we didn't eat any street food but still, ended up like that. Remember to always bring your medicine along when travelling, for times like these.

These are the places I visited in Siem Reap
Khmer Family Restaurant
Eatery opposite Angkor Orchid Central Hotel
Tang Mouy Coffee
Banana Leaf Restaurant
Fried Ice Cream Rolls
Khmer Kitchen Restaurant
The Christa Restaurant & Bar
Cuisine Wat Damnak

And during our 1-day stopover in Phnom Penh:
Feel Good Cafe
Yi Yi Baykordot
The Share Phnom Penh Hostel

Siem Reap

Khmer Family Restaurant







This was the first restaurant we randomly stepped into after reaching Siem Reap, and boy was it the best discovery ever. Sure, it is touristy and more expensive than the less popular restaurants off Pub Street, but we loved the Lok Lak here. Would totally come back again for the same thing!

Road 2, Krong Siem Reap 17252, Cambodia

Damage: USD 9.25/pax

Eatery opposite Angkor Orchid Central Hotel



It was such a random decision to eat here that I totally forgot to note down the signboard! The place looked really rundown but we were glad the food was actually good. Price was very cheap too!

Paid USD 1.50/pax!

Tang Mouy Coffee



Found this off Googling and many people sang praises of this roadside coffee stall. But just look at the packaging, doesn't lose to Starbucks!

7 Makara Road Krong Siem Reap, 17252, Cambodia

Paid USD 1.50 for my mocha

Banana Leaf Restaurant



Our tuktuk driver for our day trip in Angkor Wat brought us here. I would say, avoid tourist traps like these and request him to bring you to maybe the restaurant where he will have his meal instead? The food here was horrible and expensive. Just wanted to let everyone know that you can avoid wasting your stomach space like we did.

Damage: USD 8.50/pax

Fried Ice Cream Rolls



These were everywhere in the area along Pub Street and where tourists gather. We succumbed to temptation and had one. But I have to say, I have tried better Ice Cream Rolls.

Damage: USD 2

Khmer Kitchen Restaurant



This was recommended by my friend who loved the Lok Lak here. I tried, but still prefer the one at Khmer Family Restaurant. Food here was decent though.

#Street 2 Through the corner of street 9, Old market Siem reap, 17255, Cambodia

Damage: USD 7.50/pax

The Christa Restaurant & Bar



Found this off Tripadvisor and the price was much better than those touristy ones in Pub Street. The food was quite decent so I would advise you to find restaurants that are further away from Pub Street since they are all about the same!

West side Wat Damnak behind Art center night market, Cambodia

Damage: USD 2 for my pancake

Cuisine Wat Damnak















The most expensive meal of our Cambodian trip. One of Asia's 50 best restaurants. We had to make a trip here to taste it for ourselves! It was good, but maybe because I am not that much a fan of Southeast Asian spices and flavours that I still prefer the conventional French/Italian fine dining

Street 7 Makara, Wat Damnak Village Krong Siem Reap Siem Reap City, 93108, Cambodia

Damage: USD 33 for my portion + drink

Phnom Penh


Feel Good Cafe


Found this on Tripadvisor. Coffee was diluted and disappointing!

Damage: USD 2.25 for my coffee

Yi Yi Baykordot


A surprise find. We walked past and saw a lot of locals dining here, so why not? The hotplate was surprisingly good and super cheap!

Street 118 Corner of Street 61, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Only USD 1.13/pax!

The Share Phnom Penh Hostel



I have already recovered from my Siem Reap food poisoning but by now Nini was seriously ill. So I had a very unsatisfying dinner at the hostel we stopped over.

Paid USD 8.50/pax

Just want to clarify. The food price standard in Cambodia should be about USD 5-10. However, I think you can get pretty decent food within the USD 5 range. And as seen from some of my eats, some can be USD 2 or lesser! So do not get scammed!

See more of my travels here:

No comments: